Runescape stats: 250k peak concurrent users! July 15, 2008Posted by jeremyliew in games, mmorpg, Runescape.
Today GigaOm has an interview with the CEO of Jagex, publisher of Runescape, a free to play MMOG with more players in the west than World of Warcraft. Some stats to give you an idea of their scale:
- New content (questions, items, etc.) added to RuneScape every two weeks
– Peak concurrency: 250,000
– Average player time: 12.5 hours/week
– 250 RuneScape shards for up to 2,000 players each. Unlike many MMORPGs, player characters are not bound to a single shard.
– Main player demographics: 60 percent are from the U.S., 25 percent from the EU, smaller percentages from Australia/New Zealand and Canada. Player age typically 8-20, approximately 80 percent between 10-16.